Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Elderly Challenge - Observation 1

I have been observing my grandma and a few other elderlies near my house. Unfortunately my grandma does not allow me to take photos of her, so I cannot produce photos on her daily routines. The few difficulties she faced is that in the toilet, if it is slippery, she might slip and fall and have to walk very carefully. My domestic helper holds her and give her support in case she falls. Also, she put towels at the door of the toilet and outside the shower place so she would not slip if water is present.

Besides slipping, she also face another difficulty, which is walking for short distances. Walking from the hawker centre near my house back to my house takes her about five to ten minutes, and she could sweat a lot and feel very tired. I think this is normal for most elderlies, feeling tired after walking for a short distance. My domestic helper could not do much about this, and neither can anyone else.

Even though she finds it tiring to walk down to the hawker centre, she still does every morning to talk to her friends over a cup of coffee. When I observed them, they seem to be very happy to have a chance to talk about their lives at home. Because I understand the Teochew dialect, I could understand what they were talking about, and some were saying that because they are old their grandchildren or children do not really care about them and they feel rather sad.

I went to my friend’s house and observed some elderly near her house. Some are unable to walk, so their domestic helper have to help them to push the wheelchair. Some are still healthy enough and can still take strolls around and even do exercises at the exercise corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment